Time and time again I'm presented with conversations where people either...
1. Want to start yoga + don't know "how"?
2. Wish they could do yoga, but have resolved that they aren't flexible enough, small enough, or *insert excuse here* enough.
So for all of you, wherever you fit on the spectrum, here are my fool proof steps to becoming a yogi:
1. Understand the lifestyle in which you are interested. It is far more than just a physical practice/workout. A great place to start with understanding the philosophy is the 8 limbs AND/OR the yoga sutras (warning: it's as bad or worse than the old king james version of the bible, so look for versions with explanations).
2. Hire a private instructor. This is the absolute BEST (+safest) way to learn the physical practice.
3. When, and ONLY when, hiring a private instructor is not an option... a.) go to a SMALL, beginners focused yoga class OR b.) find a youtube channel with classes/flows to watch.
4. START. Throw away all your excuses. "I can't touch my toes..." SO!!!!! That's all the more reason to start NOW. "I don't have time..." LIES! Some of my most vigerous practices have lasted less than 15 minutes. "I don't know where to start..." I just told you.
Welcome to the yogi life my beautiful people. <3